If you’d have told me, 5 years ago, that I’d have become a huge fan of traditional Scottish recipes, I would have scoffed. I may even have laughed! But ever since I first experimented with a traditional Scottish meat pie recipe, I’ve begun to love researching and making the same recipes that my ancestors once enjoyed.
Of course, I’m not just Scottish, so I’ve also been experimenting with recipes from other cultures. And I’ve begun to love those, too. But for now, let’s bask in the awesomeness that is Scottish cuisine.
Traditional Scottish Recipes
From what I’ve seen, the best Scottish recipes are simple to learn but some can be difficult to master. Yes, I’m looking at those pastry crusts in particular! Thankfully, though, I’ve found some easier ones that are a lot more manageable.
So let’s take a look at some of the best recipes I’ve found so far.
Scottish Main Dishes
Of course, you could always serve a meat pie for the main dish, but the meat pies are so good they deserve their own category! Other main dishes include:
- Quick and Easy Mince Beef Recipes for Busy Families
- Simple, Delicious, and Easy Minced Beef and Tatties
- Traditional haggis, neeps, and tatties
- Scottish mince and tatties
- Bangers and mash with a stout onion gravy
- Smoked Haddock Bake
Of course, if you’re looking for a hearty Scottish breakfast, you’re going to want to try this: How to Make an Easy Scottish Porridge Recipe.
Scotch Meat Pies
- Want the original Scottish meat pie? Try this recipe for Deliciously Easy Traditional Scottish Meat Pies
- Or would you rather give everyone their own personal meat pie? Try these mini Scottish minced meat pies
Side Dishes for Scots
- Scottish eggs – now, to be fair these could be the main course! But because they go so well with so many other things, I opted to list them as a (very tasty) side dish.
- Tattie Scones – scones are delicious, and these are no exception! They’re just made from tatties (that’s Scottish for po-taters, y’all).
- Baps or Scottish buns are a perfect bread for sandwiches.
Scotch Soups and Stews
[socialpug_tweet tweet=”Want to try the best traditional Scottish recipes? These delicious dishes will have your whole table celebrating their Scottish heritage. ” display_tweet=”Want to try the best traditional Scottish recipes? These delicious dishes will have your whole table celebrating their Scottish heritage. “]
More on Scottish Recipes
Want to keep up with more Scottish recipes as I try them? Make sure you’re following my Scottish recipes board on Pinterest!
Or if you’d rather go with traditional links, these work, too!
- My Traditional Scottish Recipes Board on Pinterest
- Want old-school traditional foods? Try Scottish Recipes – Authentic and Delicious via Scottish-at-Heart.com
- Want modern, fancified recipes that have a strong root in tradition? Check out Scottish Recipes via Scotland.org
- It’s always hard to go wrong with lots of great reviews – check out Scottish Recipes – AllRecipes.com
- Traditional Scottish recipes via Rampant Scotland
My Must-Have Traditional Scottish Recipes Resources:
- Does your kitchen need a bit of a facelift? Check out this Amazon page for all of my favorite home, kitchen, and garden products.
- Need a crock pot to cook your stews? I love how simple and easy mine is to use! Seriously – it’s a classic design and it’s my favorite.
- You’ll need this amazingly versatile cooking pot so that your Scottish dishes turns out *muah* tres bien. Or whatever the Scottish version of “so delicious!” is…
You’ll Also Love:
- Recipes from Our Table to Yours
- The best slow cooker Irish Lamb Stew
- How to Make a Simply Delicious Homemade Raspberry Jam
- The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie