Finding a new cookie recipe that’s both delicious and meaningful is an amazing journey. That’s why I’ve been loving watching baking shows with my husband – we find SO MANY wonderful new recipes we have to look up, try, and enjoy.
And it seems like every biscuit week on our favorite baking show, someone is making some Scottish shortbread. It’s crumbly, buttery, and melts in your mouth. And adding in various flavors can be quite the adventure! Even so, it’s a delicious traditional Scottish recipe that should be enjoyed. So let’s enjoy it!
How to Make Scottish Shortbread
Now, while it looks like a simple enough recipe, remember that just because it looks simple doesn’t mean it’s easy to master. In fact, my experience with “simple” looking recipes is this: it’s easy to get them right the first time or two.
Then, suddenly, you realize all of the ways it can go wrong – and you start learning how to get it right each time (and you make a ton of batches that just don’t turn out right!).
In any case, start simple. Then you can start adding in more flavors, experiment with reverse creaming (mixing the flour and butter together first), or however else you want to try things.
- 2 sticks butter room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in flour and beat until just combined.
- Place dough in a zip-top bag and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll out until ½ inch thick.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cookies are a light golden brown.
Serving Size1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 86Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 14mgSodium 41mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 1g
This Shortbread is Amazing! Enjoy.
Got your biscuits baking or cooling? Amazing. Pretty soon you’ll have some delicious, melt-in-your-mouth goodness to enjoy.
Related Recipes and Topics:
- Need some dinner before you enjoy those crumbly biscuits? Make this easy minced beef and tatties and go all-out Scottish on your meal today!
- Or if a stew is more your style, here’s the perfect Scottish beef stew recipe.
- Perhaps you’re in a pastry mode? Awesome! Make a traditional Scottish meat pie and enjoy the calories. They’re worth it!
- Need some more dessert in your life? Try this easy, no-bake cheesecake in a jar recipe.
- Perhaps you’d like some softer cookies? Here are all of my chocolate chip cookie recipes for you in one spot.
- Or if you’d rather have any of a variety of easy sugar cookie recipes, that’s another great option, too.