Have you ever tried a protein shake that you just couldn’t stand? Whether it’s the taste or the texture, how can you make a protein-enriched drink taste better – like a milkshake?
After a lot of research and trial and error testing, there is an easy way to uplevel a protein drink into a milkshake. Combine milk, Greek yogurt, protein powder, and frozen fruit. Then, mix it in a blender to get a delicious milkshake flavor and texture.
Look, I’ve tried so many different protein shakes and protein powders and health drinks that it’s kind of ridiculous. And most of them don’t pass the first sip test… meaning I’ve tried a single sip before I spit it out and swore: “never again!”
And yes, that includes all of those recipes and drinks where you blend up the “tasteless” or “super-fantastic” veggies into the drink. I’m sorry. I can’t do most of those. If you can, you’re amazing and more power to you. (Get all of my recipes right here, friends!)
Not every protein shake is created equal.
You know those premixed protein shakes that you just have to pop the tab to drink? Yeah. I love the idea of them. The convenience, the simplicity…. but the truth is, I can’t do those, either. To my taste buds, those aren’t yummy. I can’t even choke one down.
Who am I kidding? I’m gagging just thinking about them…
In other words, everyone’s going to have a different favorite protein shake flavor or brand. And even once you find a flavor you like, you’ll have to find the way that you like to have it.
Here’s how to make a milkshake style protein shake – that’s worth drinking
I’m a milkshake snob. I’ll be the first to admit it.
Here in Utah, there are a lot of places that advertise they have milkshakes. I’m sorry – but if I need a spoon to eat my milkshake, that’s not a milkshake. It’s an ice cream shake. So if you’re looking for an ice cream shake, this recipe isn’t for you.
On the other hand, if you want something that’s drinkable and makes you a little bit guilty for being that rich and creamy, then try this.
This is me giving y’all a heads up that there are partnered ad links in this post. As an Amazon Associate, I can earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Now, if you’re using a blender, the order of ingredients won’t matter so much. But if you’re using a nutri ninja or some single-serve blender, follow the order as outlined. That’ll help you avoid chunks – of fruit or, *gag* clumpy protein powder.
Ready? Then let’s make a post-workout, recovery deliciousness protein shake that’s just rich and guilty enough to enjoy drinking.
- 4 oz whole milk
- 4 oz plain Greek yogurt, (fat free)
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1 scoop generic benefiber
- 1 handful frozen berries
- Add the ingredients, in order, into your blender or nutri ninja.
- Blend until smooth and frothy.
- Pour into a cup or put on a drinkable lid to your blender.
- This is the protein powder I love and use - because it's actually good!
- A little extra fiber can do miracles for your gut. This is the stuff I mean, Although the generic is easily found at your store, sometimes subscribe and save is a lifesaver!
- I use fat-free yogurt only because I can get it at an amazing price at Costco.
Amount Per Serving Calories 392 Total Fat 6g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 28mg Sodium 194mg Carbohydrates 20g Fiber 4g Sugar 13g Protein 66g
The yogurt and the frozen berries gives the shake enough substance to classify it as an awesome milkshake. And the slightly sour taste of plain yogurt? It offsets and contrasts the berries and vanilla protein powder perfectly… transforming everything into a milkshake perfection.
Yup. I found my protein shake.
And no, I’m never going to add kale or spinach to this. I like my strawberry protein shake to look (and taste) like a strawberry milkshake, thanks.
Milkshake snob out, y’all. *mic drop*
- What You Need to Know About Protein Shakes from a milkshake snob
- Already have a recipe you like? Don’t have all the right ingredients on hand? Don’t stress! Here’s how to turn it into a milkshake!
- You’ve GOT to have a blender. But having this particular one makes protein smoothies SO. MUCH. EASIER.
- Not all protein powders are created equal. This is the BEST and only one I’ll buy.
- Beef up your shake with some extra fiber – subscribe and save – which means no weird looks at the grocery store!