Do I really need a reason to want a cookie? I say no. Who am I kidding? A single no isn’t strong enough. It’s probably more like how my kids say no when I announce that it’s bedtime… “NOOOOOO!!!” Darth Vader ain’t got nothin’ on them, y’all.
And an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie… well, they are deliciously amazing. They’re my favorite – and my kids’, too. In fact, they’re one of our family favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes. If our family was going to pick a family cookie, this would probably be it.
In fact, if I try to make “regular” chocolate chip cookies, my kids will inform me that I’ve forgotten the oats. And since my kids generally don’t consume anything with fiber in it, I’m going with it. Because, we all need more fiber in our diets, right? So that means I need another cookie. And a glass of milk.
Yeah, today’s my kind of day, y’all.
The Perfect Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Recipe
I wish I could say I’d invented them, but we found the recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. We’ve since altered it slightly because more chocolate is always better, and we don’t always have the right kind of oats on hand.
It’s delicious, probably not at all nutritious, and some good old-fashioned oatmeal style cookie. Makes great cookie dough eating, too!
Yeah, I know that eating cookie dough isn’t “healthy” and it can give you food poisoning. That’s why we eat it frozenâ€¦ use your own judgment. Cooked foods are always safer.
In any case, let’s get to baking some cookies.
This is me giving yâ€™all a heads up that there are affiliate ad links in this post. Read my full disclosure policy here.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.25 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cup oats, quick-cooking
- 1.5 cup chocolate chip, semi-sweet
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- In one bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a second bowl, combine and mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the first bowl while mixing.
- Stir in the oats.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls onto a greased cookie tray. Or, if you want to revolutionize your cookie baking, drop them onto the only silicone mats youâ€™ll ever need instead.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
If you don't have quick oats, don't despair! Weâ€™ve also used old-fashioned rolled oats â€“ it makes them more moist and chewy. In fact, our current favorite is a 50/50 mix of old-fashioned rolled and quick-cooking oats.
If you'd like to add 1 cup of chopped walnuts to the recipe, you can - just add them in with the chocolate chips. My son is allergic to walnuts, though, so we don't add them.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 156 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 24mg Sodium 129mg Carbohydrates 20g Fiber 1g Sugar 12g Protein 2g
Enjoy your oatmeal chocolate chip cookies – or freeze the dough for later!
Seriously. If you don’t have time to bake them right now, scoop out those cookies and freeze them on your life-changing Silicone cooking mat and cookie tray for later. The frozen cookie dough makes for a great snack – or a great way to make cookies in a quick minute.
Oh, and while this continues to be our absolute favorite family cookie, my kids have officially given their approval to the perfect chocolate chip cookie. If my kids ask for a cookie, odds are it’s one of these two recipes!
It’s awesome that this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe continues to be their #1 favorite recipe, but I’m so glad they have a #2 on the list!
Now, enough blogging. It’s cookie time.
Related Recipes and Topics:
- Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies – Betty Crocker style
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies – Food Network
- Recipes from Our Table to Yours
- The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Festive, Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Homemade Cinnamon Swirl Bread Recipe
- How to Make Perfect Wheat Bread – Every Time