Summer is here and it’s BBQ season! Which, sadly, also means it’s mosquito and bug season. And while I’d love to say that I love mosquitoes, let’s be real: they aren’t anybody’s favorite. So let’s make some natural DIY bug repellent candles so that we can still enjoy being outside this summer season.
Because really. Summer evenings are the perfect time to enjoy being outside. Let’s not let some bugs ruin our perfect time to enjoy our home and garden.
Make Your Own Natural DIY Bug Repellent Candles
Now, there is one thing I’d recommend doing before you make any bug repellent candles, and it’s this:
Make sure your home and garden are clear of mosquito breeding grounds – and especially any stagnant, standing water.
Why? Well, if you’ve got crazy amounts of mosquitoes due to a lot of standing, brackish water, then even several dozen bug repellent candles may not be enough. And getting rid of the nasty water will help keep away other issues, too. So make sure your yard isn’t the place bugs go to breed – and you’ll be helping keep the bugs under control for everyone.
Once that’s done, it’s time to create some pleasant and natural DIY bug repellent candles to keep the bugs away.
- Small glass jars
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Rosemary sprigs
- 10 to 15 drops of lemongrass or citronella essential oil
- Tea light candles
- cutting board
- Slice lemon and lime into thick slices. Place the lemon in the bottom of the small jar and top with a lime slice.
- Add a rosemary sprig to each jar.
- Fill the jar almost to the top with water.
- Add 10 to 15 drops of lemongrass or citronella essential oil.
- Carefully place a tea light into the water and allow to float on top.
- Enjoy a bug-free experience!
3-Pack Variety of NOW Essential Oils: Mosquito Repellent Blend - Citronella, Lemongrass, Grapefruit
Glass Favor Jars With Cork Lids - Mason Jar Wedding Favors Apothecary Jars Honey Pot Bottles With Personalized Label Tags and String - 3.4oz [12pc Bulk Set] Ideal For Spices, Candy and Candle Making
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Enjoy the sweet smells of summer!
Now that you’ve got your candles made, it’s time to enjoy your summer. Because really – summer nights are some of the best, most amazing ever.
My kids love being outside, playing, while we spend time together. Whether it’s while gardening, playing some soccer, or watching the sunset. Now get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather, friends! And enjoy it without all of the bugs.
Perfect Foods to Serve at Your Backyard Party:
- Need some of the most amazing BBQ recipes to serve at your party? These are some of our favorites!
- Want a unique summer dinner idea? Try these scrumptious beef rib street tacos – they’re a perfect mix of delicious and easy!
- Want some instant pot BBQ ribs? This recipe looks great, even if I can’t eat pork (darn allergy!)
- Meal Ideas for Family Swimming and Grilling Days via Gym Craft Laundry
My Must-Have Organic and Natural Bug Repellent Candle-Making Resources:
This is me giving y’all a heads up that there’s affiliate ad links in this post. Learn more.
- Want to mix and match citronella and lemongrass essential oils? Get this convenient 3-pack – and get grapefruit, too!
- Want to turn these into cute gifts? Try these adorable glass jars.
You’ll Also Love:
- These amazing boredom-busting summer activities for kids!
- 15 DIY Deck projects to do – especially now that the bugs are gone.
- An ultimate list of summer BBQ recipes, sides, activities, and more!