When you’re having a rough day, my go-to fix is humor. It’s a fantastic coping mechanism! It helps you de-stress, manage tough situations, and I’d much rather laugh than cry. Wouldn’t you, too? In any case, it’s also a lot of fun watching my kids pick up on all of the wordplay and puns (okay, fine. I tell lots of dad jokes!) being used at our house. Because it does more than make them laugh (once they’re old enough to catch on, anyway!). It’s also stimulating their brains, helping them become smarter.
And maybe it’ll prepare them for when they’re reading Shakespeare in high school. That’s what I tell myself, anyway!
Humor: the Best Medicine EVER for Parents Everywhere
Parenting is one of the hardest gigs out there. It’s often thankless, exhausting, and it takes so much out of you. But it’s also rewarding, amazing, and incredible to watch those little people grow into capable adults. So let’s take a step back, get out of the moment that’s draining us, and have a good, clean laugh. You know – the kind you don’t feel bad if your kids happen to read over your shoulder.
- 5 Things Every Parent of 3 (or more) Kids Knows for Sure
- Need a Laugh? Let’s Mix Parenting Humor with Video Game Terms
- A Real Mom’s Top 10 Reasons to Get Takeout Tonight
- How I Use Humor (and anxiety) to Plan a Family Vacation
Laughter and Humor are How I Survive the Day
Need a good laugh that isn’t necessarily related to being a parent? These will have you giggling, guffawing, or ROTFL’ing.
“The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.” – Marjorie Pay Hinckley
My Must-Have Humor Resources:
Can stuff inspire us? It can – as long as we maintain a proper perspective. It isn’t stuff that’s important – it’s the people around us who matter most. That being said, having uplifting art and music in your home can help set a calmer, more relaxed environment that can help everyone be and behave better.
Y’all, a quick heads up: affiliate links are headed your way. Learn what that means.
- Get an oil painting reproduction (on canvas) of one of my all-time favorite artists, Vincent van Gogh
- Add classical music to your home – and watch everyone’s moods improve
- Reading is the best way to go on an adventure – and to teach your kids to love reading, too!
- All of my favorites on Amazon
More Resources to Make You Giggle:
Sometimes your funny bone is out for repair – so if that’s the case, you’ll love these other resources. Some may get you giggling, while others may hit you in the other feels first.