Do you love Mexican-inspired cuisine, too? It’s one of my favorites. Whether it’s tacos, quesadillas, or a Tex-Mex style dish, odds are it’s on my list of favorites. That’s why I love this simple, easy, and fast recipe for chicken quesadillas.
It’s a recipe that can be cooked in as little as 20 minutes – or if you’d rather make it a more elaborate meal, you can spend an hour on it. Either way, you’ll be eating a delicious, hot, and hearty meal – and one that your family is sure to love.
How to Make the Best Chicken Quesadillas
Now, if you’ve ever seen Napoleon Dynamite, you’ll understand why a delicious chicken quesadilla can’t be a regular one – it’s gotta be dang delicious. So good, in fact, that you could tell your brother off with a quick yell of –
Get your own dang quesadilla!
In any case, let’s make some dang delicious chicken quesadillas, shall we?
- 1 pound Boneless, Skinless chicken breasts (cubed or shredded)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chili pepper powder
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 small roasted red bell peppers, chopped (you can use ones from a jar like we did as well)
- 10 small flour tortillas
- Mix together all the ingredients (minus the small onion and roasted red bell peppers) with the chicken breasts and let sit. It can marinate for as little as 10 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Turn your stove on to medium heat so a medium to large sized skillet can preheat.
- Add in onions and saute until slightly brown. (if you need to add a teaspoon or so of avocado oil, so do). Once the onions are brown, add in the bell peppers and cook until the onions are translucent.
- When done, remove from pan.
- Grab your marinated chicken and put into pan. Cook all the way until the chicken is completely finished.
- Once done, allow the chicken to cool and then cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- (At this point we de-glazed the pan with liquid from the roasted bell pepper jar and added in some of the chopped chicken to give it some fun extra flavor - this is optional)
- Once your chicken is done, have your choice of toppings ready to go. For a cleaner aesthetic, use separate bowls.
- Grab a flour tortilla and warm up on a preheated skillet.
- Once it's warmed up a bit, start layering with cheese, onion and pepper mixture, chicken and another layer of cheese.
- As the cheese begins to melt, cover with another tortilla. Flip and cook this side, too.
- After a short amount of time, remove from oven and cut into triangle pieces for easy dipping into sour cream.
If some guests are sensitive to heat, mix some chicken with sour cream before assembling their custom Chicken Quesadilla to take off some of that spice.
If you'd rather use an electric skillet, great! Preheat it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and go for it!
Serving Size1 quesadilla
Amount Per Serving Calories 578Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 77mgSodium 1010mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 6gSugar 6gProtein 39g
Enjoy your quesadillas!
Serve it with homemade (or store-bought) salsa and enjoy. Just be sure to make an extra one for me, won’t you? Mmmm…. delicious. Thanks!
Cite this article as: “How to Make the Best Ever Homemade Chicken Quesadillas.” Kimberly C. Starr, 6 May 2019, kimberlycstarr.com/chicken-quesadillas/.
Related Recipes and Topics:
- Need some easy, delicious street tacos to go with the quesadillas? Um, YES!
- Want a meat substitute for the chicken? Here’s how to make your own seitan (meat substitute) for quesadillas and tacos!
- Need an easy dessert to go with dinner? No-bake strawberry cheesecake to the rescue!
- Want to try an amazing recipe on a less busy day? Make sure you check out this delicious Scottish meat pie!