Y’all, a quick heads up: affiliate links are headed your way. Learn what that means.
What if I told you there’s an online trap that’s so good that it’s snared countless thousands of business owners and bloggers? Well, there is. And it’s so effective that it’s a huge drain on productivity and bottom lines everywhere. What is it? It’s the SEO monkey trap.
Now, because your business has to be online, it’s important that you keep your hand out of the SEO monkey trap. Or, if you’re already stuck, it’s time you learned how to get out.
The SEO Monkey Trap
Just in case you’ve never gotten the “Monkey Trap” object lesson in Sunday school, here’s the quick version.
How do you trap a monkey? Put a piece of fruit at the bottom of a container with a narrow opening. The monkey will be able to put their hand in to grab the fruit, but then won’t be able to pull their hand out while holding the fruit. Then things get frantic, as the monkey can’t get the fruit – or get free. They don’t realize they should just let go, pull their hand out, and then dump the fruit out of the container.
How is SEO a monkey trap?
Well, how often do you get so focused on having the perfect SEO keyword or phrase that you spend hours perfecting that single post? Have you paused many advertising campaigns, waiting to make sure it was perfect before you hit “send”? How many blog posts did you postpone while your team did more research on that perfect SEO terminology?How many blog posts did you postpone while your team did more research on that perfect SEO terminology?Click To Tweet
See? SEO Monkey trap.
Here’s How to “Let Go” and Escape the SEO Monkey Trap
Here’s the thing with SEO: so many people get so caught up on having the right term that they forget WHY SEO exists in the first place.
Search Engine Optimization is designed to help people find the best results to their query.
SEO is an ever-evolving algorithm. Getting tied up on the perfect keyword is ridiculous for several reasons, the first of which being that SEO is always changing. Currently, it’s moving towards key phrases. People are using longer SEO key phrases to search. Sure, sometimes they’ll type in “socks”, but they’re a lot more likely to type in more details, like “compression socks with fun designs”.
So if you’re ready to let go of the SEO monkey trap…
- Quit trying to get the perfect SEO keyword. And, for the love of SEO, quit keyword stuffing.
- Recognize that SEO is an ongoing, evolving thing. It’s part science, part art, and part guessing what the next big search term will be.
- Look for search trends so that you can continue to update your website’s SEO on a regular basis.
- Most importantly, build a solid SEO foundation that taps into a wide variety of appropriate and useful SEO keywords and phrases.
Once you’re able to let go of the SEO monkey trap, you’ll be amazed at how much easier lead generation becomes… Mostly because you’re finally pushing ahead with those ads, blog posts full of story and soul, and projects you sidelined while doing “more research.” And then you can focus on other, more important things – like your content marketing strategy.
Are you ready to use SEO effectively and properly? Do you want to learn how you can see results with blogging as a part of your online marketing strategy? Then be sure to follow me, Kimberly C. Starr. Or better yet, take the plunge and work with me.
- Content Management, Virtual Assistant, Systems Implementation with Admin-Ease
- Website Evaluation with ND Consulting
- DOMINATE the Search Engines – 30 bite-sized tasks to grow your blog with Learn To Blog Hangouts
- Pinning Perfect – the complete guide to Pinterest Success with Blog Clarity
- OptinMonster: powerful customer acquisition and conversion software